Surviving the Aftermath
Release date / Patch
Store: Base game
Surviving The Aftermath is a strategy game developed by Iceflake Studios and published by Paradox Interactive. The game follows the concept of the previous game (Surviving Mars) in the Surviving series this time set in a post-apocalyptic world. It was released in early access for Epic Game Store and Xbox Game Preview.
Survive and thrive in a post-apocalyptic future — resources are scarce but opportunity calls. Build the ultimate disaster proof colony, protect your colonists, and restore civilization to a devastated world. Go beyond the colony and explore the wastelands to gather resources, meet rival colonies, and fight off bandits.
And remember: The end of the world is just the beginning.
- No Place Like Home - Build and manage a colony of survivors after a world-ending event. Construct more than 61 unique buildings to handle everything from resource collection and farming to exploration and security.
- Surviving Earth - Explore a vast procedurally generated world featuring six different biomes filled with resources, wildlife, rival societies and more. Each environment has different conditions that affect your colony’s survival. Stay vigilant: Natural disasters, dangerous animals, and bandits will put your survivors to the test.
- Survival Is My Specialty - Recruit over 80 unique Specialists, each with their own skills and motivations, to manage your colony’s resources and production. Send them beyond the Gate on scientific missions, scavenger runs, and to fight bandits.
- Expect the Unexpected - Life in the aftermath requires you to make moral choices. You may not be able to control everything in your colony, but how you respond to situations and emergent events will shape the character of your new civilization.
- Reputation Management - Every decision can have dire consequences on your colony’s survival. Your reputation with other societies will affect your ability to trade and can even affect your relationship with their leaders. Colonists have a mind of their own and will react to your choices.
- Defend the Gate - Fortify your gates and protect your colony from rampaging animals and deadly bandits. Enemies who breach the gate will pour into your colony, wreaking havoc on everything in their wake. Take command of your specialists and drive the invaders back.
- Mods - Surviving the Aftermath players can bring their own visions to life using Paradox Mods.
Why early access?
“We want to get the community involved in Surviving the Aftermath’s development and Early Access is the perfect opportunity to make that happen. Our fans are passionate players and a driving force behind the success of our games after the launch. Your feedback has helped elevate our games to new heights, and this time around, we want to get you involved as early as possible to ensure we get things right from the beginning.”
- Main article: Developer diaries
All developer diaries about the base game during its early access period.
|No.||Title and Link||Description||Date|
|11||Quests||Adding quests, giving some love to the World Map, initial steps towards a more streamlined exploration, a more robust overlay system, improved tech tree visuals and more.||2020-10-22|
|10||First Settlers||New game start options and ranching.||2020-08-13|
|9||Tainted Earth||A whole new layer to dealing with pollution and water with improvements to almost every facet of the game to make post-apocalyptic survival more interesting and challenging.||2020-06-18|
|8||A letter from Iceflake studios||Delay in version 1.0 due to the global pandemic affecting development process (move to working from home).||2020-05-14|
|7||Law & Order||A brand new criminality system. A malnutrition system adding a new layer to how you plan food production for your colonists, as they now need a varied and balanced diet.||2020-05-07|
|6||Hostile World||Introducing colony combat, aggressive animals, colonist conditions, revised trading, a new level to your gate, and more!||2020-04-09|
|5||Sanctuary||Introducing disaster relief buildings (like saunas and lightning rods), Ideologies, a revised trading system, and much more!||2020-03-05|
|4||Great Minds||Society and improved tech tree, as well as addressing feedback regarding vehicles and other balance changes.||2020-02-06|
|3||Expeditions||Vehicles to allow faster exploration in the World Map and improved Trading.||2020-01-09|
|2||Outposts||Get even more possibility to shape your colony and explore the world outside the Gate.||2019-12-05|
|1||The Colony||Get more tools to manage your Colony and to continue expanding once the resources on your map are exhausted.||2019-11-14|