One of your long-term objectives is to unlock new technologies from the five branches of the tech tree. In the aftermath, much of mankind’s knowledge was either lost or outright destroyed. Fragments can still be recovered from various locations on the world map to aid the colony. The research locations can be searched for Science points which, unlike other resources, are immediately available for the colony. And the bigger your specialists' research skill is, the faster they can extract all the usable knowledge a particular location has to offer.
- Colony adds to your housing and general colonist potential.
- Food offers both improvements to production speeds and completely new forms of cultivation and animal breeding.
- Exploration improves your efficiency and possibilities on the World Map while also increasing the settlement's security.
- Production increases production capabilities and unlocks new structures.
- Resources increases advanced resources production and extraction.
As a general rule of thumb, the further down the tree a particular advancement is, the more it costs, so always keep an eye on museums, old radar stations and observatories while exploring the map. Science is what takes your colony to the next level from just surviving into getting back what was lost.
Each researched technology offer one of eight unlock effect types. These can be determined at a glance by the tech frame's top color and are as follows:
- Building unlock - Unlocks a new building.
- Building upgrade - Unlock a building's upgrade option.
- Decorations - Create a more charming environment.
- Durability - Improves buildings' protection against natural deterioration or elements like cold or Pollution.
- Efficiency - Improves the speed or amount of production.
- Ideology - Special improvements based on your chosen ideology (survivalist, industrialist, protector).
- People - Affects or improves people's lives and Happiness.
- World map - Enhances actions on the World Map.